Skip to main content

Online?




She smiled as she read the chat.

‘Online?’

Just one word, yet, it made her smile. While typing out a yes, she wondered whether or not to add a smiley to go along with it… whether just the yes would sound rude to this overtly polite guy, or would the smiley give him an impression that she was anxiously waiting for his message. She chided herself for not having been active in the dating game in her younger days so she would know the nuances on how to, what to and what not to by now.

To her dismay, he found Milan to be a very nice guy, who spoke and behaved well, she felt quite comfortable around him. After lunch, they went to the nearby park and from there chose to walk back till her apartment. On their way back, Milan asked her if she enjoyed the afternoon with him, though she answered a simple ‘it was fine’, her smile revealed a lot more and he caught the twinkle in her eyes and smiled back. That cute boyish grin, again. Something happened to her when he smiled at her like that, her tummy was feeling all queasy.

“May I have your gtalk id? I assume you do come online once in a while.”

What!! Asha was expecting him to ask for her phone number, but here, this guy was asking for her gtalk id. 

Maybe seeing the puzzled expression on her face, he offered an explanation, “If I take your number and call you, you wouldn’t be able to avoid me without feeling bad about it yourself; but if I ping you when I come online, you can always go invisible or blame it on the bad network .“ Asha couldn’t help but smile and gladly wrote it down for him.

She replied, ‘yes :)’

She didn’t care what he thought of her, she was glad he pinged her and she would show her true feeling no matter what he thought about her.

She could tell by his reply that he was glad too that she replied and they talked for a long time after that, discussing books, music, politics, her dreams on being a journalist, his dreams on making it big in advertising. She felt good about it all, till now, she found no blemish on his character, or as much as he showed to her. 

*********************************************************************************


Girls in India are caught in the drift when they reach a particular age. They suddenly face a dilemma as to what to focus on in their life, whether to make a career and ensure a living or to get married and secure their life. Girls who remain single after the so called marriageable age are frowned upon by the society and are considered a burden for their families.

Throughout the month of April, thanks to the AtoZ Challenge, I am trying to portray the life of Asha, a common Indian girl with dreams and aspirations. Everyday we focus on one alphabet starting from A on April 1st till Z on April 30th. Stick with me till the end of the journey and do tell me what you think of my writing and my Asha.



A - An Arranged Marriage
B - Bridal Dreams
C - Cherubs From Heaven
D - Rusty Dusty Delhi
E - Ernakulam 
F - Fretting Over F.R.I.E.N.D.S & Fiancé
G - Gratifying Rendezvous
H - Hospitality Crash Course
I - I Love You??!!
J - Journalism's Joy
K - Krishna
L - Love, Longing & Life
M - Milan - A Meeting
N- Noodles, Nimbu Paani & A Nice Guy
O - Online?
P - Phone Number
Q - Questions!
R - Risks
S - Some Soul Searching
T - Timeless Tableau, A Twist in The Tale
U - Union

Comments

  1. So the love story takes off ??? Pleeez let there be no glitch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely hope this ship will sail through smooth :)

      Delete
  2. oh God !! am a curious cAT now . want to know the ending :D
    anyway I am liking this guy day by day
    Please make it a happy ending !! and I wish I too knew more about dating during my teens :P
    Liked it bhavya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he :)
      Thank you for sharing the excitement you felt :)
      Its really an out of the world experience when people are interested in your writing. I am the happiest person on Earth now :) :)

      Delete
  3. Keeping my fingers crossed for a happy ending...but take your time, I'm enjoying this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Corinne. I need to push myself till Z to come up with an ending that justifies the beginning. :)

      Delete
  4. ah... love in their hearts... ! I love this :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG...the opening is just wow...to smiley or not to smiley :) Yeh Dil maange more :) Cheers, L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Every word of appreciation you guys give means so much to me :)

      Delete
  6. Wow! Milan is such a thoughtful guy! Liked the concept of asking for her gtalk id! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Milan, how I wish he would fall for me instead of my character :P

      Delete
  7. First time here Bhavya. I've not read the previous posts but this post was great and I'm quite curious to know the ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming by. If you do have time, and if you so wish, read up on the other posts so you will know Asha's entire story :)

      Delete
  8. I am now hopping to read your previous posts...you are a good storyteller :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. At times when I write, I wonder if it all makes any sense, 90% of the time, I hit the Post button without re-reading what I have written.

      Delete
  9. Poor girl (and poor us) she has to wait for the the end of the month for her love story to have a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And poor me, I need to think up a continuation to this tale everyday, that to corresponding to that day's alphabet! :)

      Delete
  10. ohh I hope he doesn't turn out to be horrible! :o

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the world loves a lover, they say. As for me I am a die-hard romantic at heart. So, enjoying this story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shail, I was afraid I am the only one remaining of the creed :)

      Delete
  12. Sigh! wish I knew who this Milan is? Want to meet this guy personally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do happen to meet him, ask him to get back into my head ;)

      Delete
  13. Lovely piece of fiction!! And timely, too, what with the current craze for doing almost *everything* online!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Amber, and I appreciate you liking my writing :)
      Means a great deal to me.
      Thanks again.

      Delete
  14. went back to play catch up
    Like the way you have her dialoguing in her head (so like a woman)
    great start with the relationship
    I makes it kinda fun to not know as the writer what is next
    do the comments from people help???

    Happy A to Z
    will be back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much :)
      This story is spontaneous and not planned out previously; so your comments do help me plan out how the story should go forth :)

      Delete
  15. Hmmm... this guy seems to be too good to be true...insert evil flaw!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he :)
      What evil flaw shall we bring in? :D

      Delete
  16. Such a wonderful flair with words. Impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Pallavi, that was a huge thing to say. Thank you :)

      Delete
  17. I get the feeling she'll be eating her words about those silly girls who go weak in the knees over a guy pretty soon! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I shared my thoughts with you, it's your turn now :)

Popular posts from this blog

Phone Number

The early morning sun rays kissed her good morning, and she woke up with a smile. Something told her it was going to be a beautiful day. She finished her early morning tasks and offered prayers and thanks to her Lord. Her mum and dad had called promptly in the morning to ask how the meeting went, whether she has taken a decision about Milan, what food she had ordered, her mother hoped she had worn a ‘decent’ dress and asked her again if she made a good impression on him. Frankly, Asha had no clue how to answer to all these queries. She said that they had a good time together, had lunch and an interesting conversation on their way back. Her mother sounded excited when she told her that Milan had come to drop her back home. She could almost imagine her mom’s eyebrows arching up in excitement. It was then that her mom asked her, “So, did you like him?” Now that, was a difficult question. She liked him, yes. But what her mom wanted to know was not whether she liked him or no

Questions!!

She was happy with how things had turned out after her little luncheon with Milan, he seemed to be a nice guy after all. The only thing that she raised an eyebrow at was that majority of the time she was with him, she was the one doing the talking. He seemed to be a very quiet guy, not reserved or guarded, just quiet. She had always thought she could not carry off a sensible conversation with any guy she was meeting for the first time, but yesterday had been fun! While on a popular social networking site, she saw somebody had shared a song that she loved. Unable to resist, she hit the play button and was soon lost in the music. She had a strange ‘thing’ for sad songs, they always drew her attention and once she started listening to them, she would be hooked for a very long time. The emotions and the pain of the singer always spoke immense volumes to her, but at the end of it all, she would be in a very strange mood. Her friends always joked about her that grief and pain turne